For eight years, Nightbird has been supporting Fayetteville’s community, literary groups, and artistic endeavors. Now, with help from the community, Nightbird Books has organized a week’s worth of activities to “Feed the Bird” to help keep the bookstore operational and serve as a way to say thank you to the community.
“We wanted to do a fundraiser the way NPR or PBS does it where once a year we put on a fundraiser event,” said Lisa Sharp, the owner. “The money will help us get ahead, start fresh and pay off some older bills. It’ll make life much easier.”
From July 7 -12, every day will offer an opportunity to sample some of the many local groups that Nightbird Books cares for all year long. Each event is a special way for community members to help Nightbird continue its mission to be a community bookstore.
For a week long ticket to all of Nightbird’s events, and to show some love for The Bird, you can purchase a week long event ticket to everything listed below for $75, or you can attend your favorite nights and pay as you go.
Jail Bird ~ Monday July 7, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Fayetteville celebrities will be “jailed” in the bird cage. They’ll be calling their friends and supporters to ask for donations to bail them out for the low price of $200 each! It’s a perfect way to donate a small amount that will add up to support your local bookstore and bail out some of your favorite Fayetteville people! Check your social media accounts that morning for pictures and updates and feel free to call in support if our jail birds don’t call you.
- Jail birds include Maylon Rice, Sonia Gutierrez, David Johnson, and David Whitaker
Song Bird ~ Monday July 7, 7 p.m. $5 each, $1 under 12, free under 5.
- Adam Cox is hosting another Community Sing-Along at Nightbird Books. We all know Fayetteville is a place full of wonderful people who care about our community and these sing-alongs have proven a great way to put voice to that collective spirit.
Birds of a Feather ~ Tuesday July 8
- Cocktail presentations 7 p.m., Game Show 8 p.m. $20 cocktails + quiz show, ($5 Game Show only)
- Local bartenders are flocking together with Artist Laboratory Theatre for a night of cocktails and a show! You’ll get a chance to taste creations from PH Alchemy, Maxine’s Taproom, and Bordinos, created just for Nightbird, while you see a live version of the Whosie Whatsit Game Show. It’s a brilliant panel of local favorites hosted by Mark Landon Smith. You can be a contestant, win prizes, or just watch the fun!
- Sponsors – PH Alchemy, Maxine’s Taproom, Bordino’s, Artist Laboratory Theatre
￼Bird Seed ~ Wednesday July 9, 4 to 7 p.m. $20
- During the regular hours of Green Fork Farmers Market, we are celebrating local food. Local food experts including, Cafe Rue Orleans, Ozark Natural Foods, Zuppa Zuppa Soup Kitchen, Little Bread Company, and the local farmers of the Green Fork market will be sampling their best for their favorite independent book store.
- Sponsors – Café Rue Orleans, Ozark Natural Foods, Zuppa Zuppa Soup Kitchen, Little Bread Company, Farmers of Green Fork Farmers Market
Spoken Bird ~ Thursday July 10, 7 p.m.
$15, includes a broadsheet from the reading
- The Burning Chair Readings and Ozark Poets and Writers Collective are hosting an evening of poetry. The Burning Chair Readings, founded in New York City in 2004, organize regular and special literary events in several local venues, but have been especially generous in helping Nightbird Books organize our many poetry events. The Ozark Poets and Writers Collective is a non-profit organization devoted to the joys of the spoken and written word. Organized in 1994, OPWC has been meeting in Nightbird Books since we opened in 2006 and has brought many talented writers to our area. Two broadsheets from the readings are included with the ticket price.
- Sponsors: The Burning Chair Readings, Ozark Poets and Writers Collective Late Night Bird ~ Friday July 11 9 p.m.
A recorded night of SW/MM/NG, Brothel Sprouts, and High Lonesome $5 cover, $10 CD
- Enjoy a full evening of three local bands in Nightbird’s breezeway. The show will be recorded live, with CDs available to be ordered the night of the show. As always, it’s complemented by books and beer.
- Sponsors: SW/MM/NG, Brothel Sprouts, High Lonesome, and Villewave Records
Little Bird ~ Saturday July 12, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. $10 per family
There will be multiple projects for multiple ages including:
- Craft projects from the books, 10 Minute Puppets, Papertoy Monsters, and the Origami Yoda Series
- Continuous story-time read by local picture book authors and other friends of Nightbird Books Book Discussion with YA author Timothy Koch
Middle Grades Writing Workshop led by Gabrielle Idlet
Sponsors: Once Upon a Party, Gabrielle Idlet
Birds in Flight ~ Saturday July 12, 9 p.m. $5 cover
- Enjoy touring musical act Surf Minus Surf and a couple of local favorites as well, King Boleta and May the Peace of the Sea Be With You. It’s one last night to show your Nightbird love by welcoming traveling musicians to Fayetteville.