Commentary

Political Pollution

Posted by tbaker |

By Rachel Birdsell

“They think that somehow they know more about climate change than the very community that does nothing but study the climate.”

Is anyone besides me thinking about how much of a sexy beast Bill Nye has been lately? Okay, maybe he’s only a sexy beast if you’re into skinny, geeky scientists who wear bowties and know how to kick ass in debates about climate change, because Bill has definitely been kicking some hindquarters. First there was the debate with Ken Hamm, which Hamm should have been completely embarrassed about, should Hamm actually have enough sense to realize he should be embarrassed. More recently Bill laid the smack down on Tennessee Republican Representative Marsha Blackburn on NBC’s Meet the Press.

Blackburn kicked off the faceoff by having the audaciously saying that Bill didn’t know enough about climate change to claim authority. Marsha, Marsha, Marsha, he’s Bill Nye the Science Guy. That alone should tell you that he can claim more authority on anything related to science than you can. You’re not Marsha Blackburn the Science Chick, which doesn’t even rhyme, by the way. No, Marsha, the fact is that Bill knows more about science than you ever will. He knows more about climate change than you ever will. You proved that you’re a climate science idiot when you said that there isn’t any type of agreement between climate scientists as to whether or not humans are the cause of climate change. The vast majority of scientists agree that humans are the leading factor in why we’re seeing temperatures in the 50s and 60s in Alaska in the middle of January. We’re polluting and poisoning our Earth and it’s causing huge, detrimental changes to occur.

Sadly, Marsha has plenty of Republicans colleagues who also refuse to face facts. They think that somehow they know more about climate change than the very community that does nothing but study the climate. These politicians are the people who could introduce new legislation that could help, but they’d have to recognize the problem first, and if they aren’t willing to do that, the only alternative is to vote them out. We have too much to lose by keeping people in office that can’t embrace science.

Even if we can’t agree that pollution is causing climate change, we can all agree that it’s not healthy for the Earth and even worse for its people, right? So shouldn’t we be funding scientific studies into alternative energy sources? Shouldn’t we be doing all we can to make solar and wind energy our two primary sources of energy? Shouldn’t we take the steps necessary to make gas-powered cars, coal mines and oil rigs obsolete?

It’s going to have to start with us. We’re going to have to get off our asses, educate the uneducated, vote the idiots out of office and vote in politicians who are willing to make the changes necessary. Yes, it’s going to take time and cost money to get new systems in place, but those costs will be miniscule compared to the price we’ll pay for not doing it.

Rachel Birdsell is a freelance writer and artist. You can reach her at rabirdsell@gmail.com.

9 Comments

9224789 February 24, 2014 at 10:46 am

Good job Rachel ! You made it all the way through an article without making me want to puke in your mouth for once! You didn’t have to bash Christians, men, or anyone else that doesn’t agree with you. Way to go…let’s keep our fingers crossed for more not-ridiculously-biased articles.

Steve February 25, 2014 at 4:53 pm

Hmm, isn’t Hamm the chief exec at the creation museum, the very place that propagates mythology as ‘fact’ and doesn’t see any need for evidence because there is a book thousands of years old written by men. They calculate the age of the earth as being 6000 or so years old, maybe a few thousand more. Any Christian who believes this nonsense about the age of the earth is an idiot, provided they are not a child but I don’t know many children who believe the earth is that young. Christians need bashing, just like anyone else when they are dangerously wrong. Men deserve bashings too, keep it up Rachel.

anna February 26, 2014 at 1:47 pm

“There is no scientific proof that human emissions of carbon dioxide (CO2) are the dominant cause of the minor warming of the Earth’s atmosphere over the past 100 years,” he said.
This according to Patrick Moore co-founder of Green Peace.
“Even if the planet is warming up, Moore claimed it would not be calamitous for men, which he described as a “subtropical species.”
Hummmmmmm,

anna February 26, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Hey Steve,
The reason the earth is only 6000 years old is that it was created by God in its completed form the same as the creatures and man were all created as adults. I don’t care if you think I’m an idiot if you don’t care that I think you’re one. :)

Clay February 27, 2014 at 9:04 pm

I tend not to leave many comments, however i did some searching and wound up here Political Pollution | The Free Weekly.
And I actually do have a couple of questions for you if you tend not to mind.
Could it be just me or does it appear like some of the comments appear like left by brain dead individuals?
:-P And, if you are writing at other sites, I would like to follow
anything new you have to post. Would you make a list of the complete urls of your community pages
like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

Here is my site … best deals

Steve February 28, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Oh Anna, if I had a nickel for everyone who thought I was an idiot…let’s just say I would have my own Pacific island with plenty of cash left over but my own opinion is far more important. Sometimes I think I’m an idiot but I take a nap or have a beer and I usually get over it :)

anna March 6, 2014 at 7:43 am

Ha! I don’t know which of us you think are “brain dead individuals” Clay but since you seem smitten with Rachel and her rants I can pretty much guess. As to your question “could it be me or…” yes Clay,it could.