Commentary

Underdog Poo

Posted by tbaker |

By Rachel Birdsell

The article I wrote a couple of weeks ago, Making a Molehill Out of Man Mountain, has ruffled some feathers. In fact, the feathers became so disheveled, some people were compelled to leave comments telling me what a horrible person I am. Along with other fourth-grade-level insults, my writing was compared to dog poo, which actually made me laugh. So, to the anonymous person who left that comment, thanks for the giggle. Another reader mentioned that I rant about anyone who doesn’t fit into my narrow world view, such as “conservatives, Christians, Republicans, Tea Party members, abortion opponents, etc.”

Because some of you are having difficulty comprehending what I’m trying to get across when I pen my rants, I thought I’d try and clarify my stance on life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

I have very few hard and fast rules when it comes to life. I’m pretty happy-go-lucky and will generally leave you alone and let you live whatever life you feel is best for yourself as long as you aren’t hurting anyone. But, when you start trying to dictate people’s health decisions and reproductive rights, or tell someone who they can or can’t marry, then I have a problem with it and I’ll speak up. I don’t understand why people feel the need to foist their beliefs on other people. Leave people alone. If you don’t like abortion, don’t get one. If you don’t like gay marriage, don’t marry a gay person. If you don’t like atheism, don’t be an atheist. If you don’t like welfare, food stamps or Medicaid, don’t ever use them.

Yes, I’m a cheeky atheist. I’m opinionated, which is kind of important for writing an opinion column. But overall, I’m a nice person. When I’m out in public, I make it a point to try and compliment at least one person that day. I don’t check their religion first. I don’t ask about their political persuasion to make sure they’re not a conservative, nor do I need to know their stance on abortion. It doesn’t matter to me. I compliment them, enjoy their smile and go on my merry, but godless, pro-abortion, gay-marriage-loving, very liberal, feminist way.

So for those of you complaining, maybe you could try, not just reading, but comprehending, what I write. I don’t care if you’re a conservative. I don’t care if you think abortion is wrong. I don’t care if you think it’s icky that two men fall in love and kiss each other right on the mouth. I may not agree with your outlook, but as long as you leave people alone, I’m cool with it. But when you start trying to limit other people’s rights because it’s something you don’t agree with or because your religion dictates it, you can bet your sweet patootie I’ll start flinging my dog poo all over the page.

Rachel Birdsell is a freelance writer and artist. You can drop her a line at rabirdsell@gmail.com

7 Comments

Anna October 17, 2013 at 2:08 pm

I agree Rachel. We live in a free country and if you want to be gay, be gay. If you want to be an atheist, be an atheist. Change yourself into a man/woman if you aren’t happy with the way you were born. Dye your hair, pierce your tongue and cover your body in tattoos if it makes you happy. If you aren’t harming anyone else it should be your own business what you do with your body and any other consenting adult.
We are told not to judge, that’s Gods job.
As for abortion, that’s another story. You ARE harming someone else and I will speak out on that point as long as I have a breath in my body.
I looked up one of the articles that you were ranting about in your Man rant a couple of weeks ago. That was a Catholic website advising Catholic parents on Catholic issues. I’m not a Catholic and I don’t necessarily agree with all their ideals but IT”S THEIR BUSINESS if they do. They weren’t trying to push anything on you or anyone else.
SO, if live and let live (and that goes for the unborn) is your stance on life then practice what you preach.

9224789 October 18, 2013 at 9:19 am

First off, I have a right to voice how my tax dollars are being used, so I will speak up on Welfare, Medicaid and whatever else I choose. “I don’t understand why people feel the need to foist their beliefs on other people.” Yet that is exactly what you do every article… If I feel opposed to something such as abortion, gay “rights” I will stand up and say whatever I please, just as you do.

9224789 October 18, 2013 at 9:30 am

You tell me to not only read, but comprehend what you are writing and yet you do not comprehend what I wrote. To make the statement that I compared your writing to dog poo is inaccurate (I don’t think that highly of your writing). If you go back and take your own advice of striving for comprehension of what is being written you would have not come to such an inaccurate conclusion. Let me break it down for you. You stated that while your writing was not Pulitzer prize winning quality it was good enough to make me comment (faulty logic). I stated that everything that elicits a comment does not qualify as good, hence the point , when I step in poo I make a comment, yet stepping in dog poo isn’t good. Or a fourth grader might tell you:

dog poo = gross
Stepping in it = bad
Saying something ≠ good enough
Comprende?

guest October 22, 2013 at 8:35 am

I think the syllogism you’re trying to formulate is:
“Stepping in dog poo is bad.
Stepping in dog poo provokes a reaction.
Therefore, it is possible to be bad and to provoke a reaction.
Your writing provokes a reaction.
Therefore, your writing may be bad.”

Ben Madrid November 6, 2013 at 11:23 am

Yes we agree on something, “when you start to limit other people’s rights because it’s something you don’t agree with, blah, blah, blah,” I’m now sure after that statement that you will not devote one sentence to gun control, or type any snide remarks about Christians utilizing their freedom of speech to decry abortions. Because, you would never want to “limit” other people’s rights, or did I mis-interpret that?

Steve January 24, 2014 at 2:03 am

If you don’t like abortions, dont get one if you don’t like gay marriage don’t have one. Just because you legally allow such things does not mean you are forcing your worldview. Gay marriage is not legally recognized in Arkansas, this is a prime example of forcing a narrow world view down someone’s throat.