Readers and Editor:
SpareTime (An upstart project of the group that brought you Seeds That Feed) is partnering with the Junior League of NWA to bring awareness to domestic violence and “A Fresh Start to the Year with Kids that C.A.R.E (Care About Real Essentials — a collaborative effort between SpareTime, the Fayetteville middle school, high school, UA and the Clinton School). We are actively recruiting male professionals/community members from across the area to participate in an hour-long workout session that will be developed by Heath Horn, national sales manager at J.B. Hunt (Transport Services Inc.). The ‘Work Out Domestic Violence’ event is meant to bring awareness to figures like:
- 240 women are victims of domestic violence every hour.
- A victim’s chances of being killed or seriously injured increase by 75 percent when leaving a violent relationship.
- 35 percent of all emergency room calls are a result of domestic violence.
- Of those who abuse their partner, well more than 65 percent also physically and/or sexually abuse the children.
- Each day four women die as a result of abuse.
- Each day three children die as a result of abuse.
We expect the workout to take place Jan. 12 at a location yet to be determined. We’ll work to get these guys sponsored and any monies raised will go to benefit NWA Womens Shelter, Peace at Home, and the Kids that C.A.R.E. project. To offer whatever you can, and your SpareTime, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.