Commentary

Grand Ol’ Prejudice

Posted by tbaker |

By Rachel Birdsell

I have always been in favor of free speech and would hate to see our country without it. But, sometimes people let things fly out of their mouths instead of keeping it in their heads. House of Representative hopeful, Republican Charles Fuqua of Batesville is one such example.

He recently published an e-book, “God’s Law: The Only Political Solution.” The title alone speaks volumes of his mindset. In his book he wrote, “I see no solution to the Muslim problem short of expelling all followers of the religion from the United States.” I can only guess that the problem Fuqua is writing about is terrorism because of the mistaken belief that so many people have that all Muslims are terrorists. These people haven’t figured out that being a Muslim isn’t a prerequisite for blowing up stuff.

But let’s pretend there really is a Muslim problem. Do constituents want a legislator who can only come up with one solution to a problem? I would prefer someone who is slightly more proficient at problem solving.

Muslims aren’t the only ones that Fuqua has in his crosshairs. He also wrote that he thinks that there should be a law that would allow the death penalty for rebellious children. He states that parents would take their little rebel offspring before a court and let the justice system decide if they should be killed. He further explains that he doesn’t think parents would really resort to that, but just having the law in place might keep children from being rebellious.

I think Chuck could use some parenting classes. Children shouldn’t be parented with the use of fear and threats. Anyone who wants to hold the death penalty over children for rebelling has a power complex and is an egomaniacal jerk. Of course, that’s just my personal, very nonprofessional opinion.

Fuqua isn’t the lone Arkansas Republican spouting off incendiary remarks. Jon Hubbard is a state representative from Jonesboro and has published the book, “Letters to the Editor: Confessions of a Frustrated Conservative.” In it Hubbard claims that slavery was a blessing in disguise for the black race because without it they wouldn’t have been “rewarded with citizenship in the greatest nation ever established upon the face of the Earth.” Hubbard also states that integration is hurting white students, black students have “a lack of discipline and ambition” and black people aren’t contributing to society. I’m beginning to think that maybe Hubbard might be a wee bit of a racist butt nugget.

Another Arkansas Republican legislator, Loy Mauch, was lurking in the shadows watching the attention that Hubbard was receiving for being a bigot, so he decided to skip merrily into the fray and snatch some of that attention for himself. In a letter to the editor of the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, Mauch wrote “If slavery were so God-awful, why didn’t Jesus or Paul condemn it, why was it in the Constitution and why wasn’t there a war before 1861?” I understand that Mauch is trying to argue in favor of slavery, but he fails to realize that his remark could be taken the other way — that maybe Jesus and Paul didn’t speak out about it because they were racist, too. The only reason bigots get votes is because voters agree with them.

Unfortunately, there are enough racists in our state and across the country to vote these men and others like them into office. We have to come out in full force on Election Day and show the racists that their archaic and hate-filled views won’t be tolerated. We have the ability to shut them up, and for the good of our future, that’s exactly what we must do.

Rachel Birdsell is a freelance writer and artist. You can drop her a line at rabirdsell@gmail.com

8 Comments

Anna October 18, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I hope you aren’t insinuating that all Republican’s are racists, or that they are the only ones capable of being so. I have a few liberal friends who are as prejudiced as they come. It’s funny really, they think they are blessed with these lofty enlightened ideals but they are constantly stereotyping people and judging them by how they look, where they work, what they believe…especially if it is contrary to what they believe. They are actually more narrow-minded than the people they brand as narrow-minded!
I wouldn’t vote for a bigot anymore than you would Ms. Birdsell but remember that “hate-filled views” don’t follow party lines.

Dan coody October 18, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Narrow-mindedness is not limited to a particular political party. You can have open-minded and closed-minded individuals sprinkled across the political spectrum. Two things I’ve noticed… Open-minded people, regardless of political persuasion are just more fun to discuss ideas with. They also seem to be free of hate. And that’s always a plus!

Rachel Birdsell October 19, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Anna,

I’m beginning to think you don’t like me. :) I definitely wasn’t insinuating that all Republicans are racists.I was merely writing about the three Arkansas Republicans who were in the news recently because they were spouting racist nonsense. If it was three Democrats, I would have written about them.I don’t insinuate very often. I usually just blurt out what I think. It may make others angry once in awhile, but no one ever has to guess where I stand on an issue.

Dan – Thanks so much for reading and for the comment. I agree that open minded people are way more fun to discuss things with. Hating someone is rather like drinking poison and hoping the other person dies from it. Life is too short to waste time on hate.

Rhissanna October 21, 2012 at 7:33 am

Charles Fuqua? He’s not a very bright little button. This is a quote from his blog on Goodreads.

“It must be true. Lennon, the founder of Russian Communism, said that if you tell a lie loud enough and often enough people will believe it.”

How does one pronounce ‘Fuqua’, anyway?

Anna October 24, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Okay, I guess you weren’t insinuating but just blurting out that ” there are enough racists in our state and across the country to vote these men and others like them into office.” Which means that there would have to be more “racist” Republicans voting than non-racist Republicans or Democrats in order for them to be elected.
So,I guess it’s not all Republicans that are racist it’s just most of them :(

MS October 27, 2012 at 11:24 am

Of course not all Republicans are racists and nor did Ms. Birdsell insinuate that to be the case. She highlighted 3 AR Republican candidates that have stated beliefs that are racist/bigoted and she asked that people who do not espouse to such beliefs to let their voices be heard at the ballot box. Republicans who think differently than these 3 Republican candidates should be publicly calling them out and pushing back against such despicable attitudes (and they should be nominating GOP candidates who do NOT believe such racist/bigoted tripe) instead of going after the messenger who dares to report on the matter.

I’m glad to read that Fuqua, Hubbard and Mauch are not worthy of your vote (since you said that wouldn’t vote for a bigot). I hope you can find politicians that are much more worthy of your consideration.

Rachel Birdsell November 8, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Thank you, MS. I appreciate you explaining where I was coming from. It helps when it comes from someone else.

The good news is that all three of these men lost their elections. The bad news it that Mauch still received 45% of the vote, Hubbard received 47&, and Fuqua received 30%. The numbers should have been much lower than that, and until they are, I’ll keep speaking out when someone spouts off with a racist comment.